Friday, December 16, 2011

I’m Legit

I, Christina, take thee, Peace Corps , through the thick and the thin and until 25 months do us part. It’s official, as of Wednesday, December 14th, 2011, I’ve had enough of this trainee business; after 8 weeks of training, I am an official Peace Corps volunteer! After wanting to join the Peace Corps since I was in middle school and the extensive application process last year, I have to admit that I am pretty darn proud. To help us celebrate both our initiation and the 50th anniversary of the Peace Corps (Colombia was one of the first two original countries where Kennedy sent volunteers in 1961) were Colombian families and friends, Peace Corps employees and returned volunteers (even two from the first, 1961 Colombian group), and a panel of speakers with fancy-schmancy titles. Among these were Michael McKinley, the US ambassador to Colombia who flew in from Bogota; Stacy Rhodes, Peace Corps Chief of Staff flew in from the Washington DC headquarters; Eduardo Verano, the governor of the Atlantico province of Colombia; and finally, Alejandro Char, the mayor of Barranquilla. Formalities started with Ambassador McKinley swearing us in with the same oath that the president of the United States takes and ended with a gigantic cake.

I will continue to train and live in Barranquilla until January 14th, so really my life has changed little. However, I now have a legitimate title and a new cell phone and plan (*my number has changed—my cell phone will be 312 451 4274 for the next 2 years*). Last but not least, I now make… wait for it... wait for it… $10 a day instead of a measly $5! When was the last time you suckas got a 100% raise?


We even had a full spread in the newspaper, and the back of my head made the cut: http://www.elheraldo.co/local/vamos-a-fortalecer-cooperaci-n-en-educaci-n-biling-e-embajador-de-eu-49700

The group of 22 volunteers and staff

Swearing In



My host brother, Carlos, and me eating the cake

With my host family

1 comment:

  1. Hey love the post! what an excellent little writer you are...

    ReplyDelete