Tuesday, May 29, 2012

If at first you don’t succeed…


Whether it’s planting sustainable crops, building latrines, developing a classroom management plan, or getting people to wash their hands, almost every Peace Corps job comes back to behavior change. And what it comes down to is behavior change is really hard to accomplish. Add doing so in a different culture and it can seem next to impossible. Not only am I trying to help people change their behaviors, but I am also trying to get people to understand why change is important. Double whammy. Changing your eating habits, for example, to a healthier diet is already difficult, but at least most people know that eating healthy is important because it will help you feel better, look better, think clearer. Now try getting students to do their homework when it has never been important and furthermore they have 10 years’ experience of not doing it. Not happening anytime soon, sorry ‘bout it. 

Sunday night rolls around and I eagerly think to myself wow, this week I will actually have a whole 5 day work week! Last Monday we had off for the anniversary of, some 2000 odd years ago, Jesus’ ascension into heaven, the Tuesday before was Teacher’s Day, and the Monday before that was Labor Day… but alas, what do you know, this week there is a teachers’ strike on Wednesday. Other things come up too… last week all students who still had not bought the school uniform were kicked out, meaning that less than half were present. Early May I went all week to Barranquilla for extensive HIV/AIDS prevention training. Students show up half an hour late to class, morning prayer time runs over, classes are canceled so that teachers can celebrate birthdays… the list goes on.

… and then I shake my head and remind myself that although I’m becoming used to this, I have a long way to go if I’m still assuming a 5 day work week. 



So how does one go about getting a sense of accomplishment in work that is based in behavior change, especially in a different culture? Well, it can happen, it’s just takes an extra dose of patience, acceptance of rejection, and coconut rice.

Patience: stop fighting and resisting the culture but go with it. Many things I just cannot change and complaining will not make them go away. And sometimes, in the most challenging situations, I can only laugh at the sheer ridiculousness of it all… I am wearing black jeans and tennis shoes, teaching 40 students who understand 0 words I’m saying, it is literally, I repeat literally 109 degrees outside, and fifteen, sixteen seventeen beads of sweat just rolled down my back. So tragic, it’s kinda hilarious.

Acceptance of rejection: Tuesday nights I teach a community English class that is now 26 adults strong. We started with 4. This Thursday night officially starts my Girls’ Leadership Group (updates to come!) for 10th grade girls from my school. We had 70 girls take permission slips for their parents to sign; 16 have come back. Give 100% to the people who do show up, even if there’s only one. Furthermore, if you have a good idea going, stick it out, but let it go if it is ruining your day and/or mood. If a teacher blows me off time and time and time again, I stop working with him. Working with people who are open to new ideas and change is easier, more fun, and will have more impact.

Coconut rice: is my favorite Colombian food. Furthermore, for almost every event a Colombian has invited me to, coconut rice appears at some point. Visiting families, going to birthday parties, getting lunch together, and generally taking the time to get to know a person is the ultimate way to change behaviors and it’s amazing how much more people will listen to and show up for you. Spending the first minute of a conversation asking how someone is doing instead of getting right to logistics or favors is something that Americans should do more often. In general, figure out what the people want and what motivates them and you’re one big step closer. For me, I’ll even go to your daughters dance recital if I know there’s coconut rice afterwards. Knowing that Costenos love dance and music and incorporating those into whatever, from study habbits to condom use, will spark interest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment